DC-6B: Legends of Flight for FSX1 reviews
- Media Format
- Immediate Download
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X
- File size
- 211 MB
This wonderful representation of the infamous Douglas DC-6B, has been developed by the airliner experts at Aeroplane Heaven, and is available as an immediate download for use in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. The DC-6B comes packed with so much prestige and history, it can easily find a home in the hangars of any and all types of virtual pilots.
This add-on contains four different model variants, including the five windowed Domestic Day-plane and the four windowed Intercontinental, both with and without spinners and/or radar. The high level of detail pushed into these aircraft extend to all areas that make up the package.
The highly detailed exterior models is wrapped in one of ten authentic international airline liveries, all in super-resolutions that offer great detail without sacrificing frame rates and ruining your performance. The bump maps and specular maps help bring the aircraft to life, enhancing your visual experience while viewing the plane from the outside. Multiple viewpoints are available for those that like to get the most out of the esthetics of an aircraft, and all textures and maps translate well from all views.
Inside the plane, the interactive 3D virtual cockpit is appropriately shadowed and everything is fully functional and animated; you never need to leave the cockpit if you don't want to. Also included, is a faultless passenger section complete with stewardess.
The high-fidelity sound set showcasing the distinctive Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp engines helps round out the aircraft as a whole. Listening to the 18 cylinder, radial piston engine whilst taxiing to the runway (for what is sure to be a noisy take-off), makes it so easy to get completely immersed in your Flight Simulator, as it keeps you locked into the experience.
The flight dynamics are based on real world data and have been tested by real world pilots, so you can be sure that this DC-6B will behave just the same as those few that are still in service.
Full check-lists and reference files are provided, along side a comprehensive 60 page manual. If you've never piloted an aircraft of this type, these will teach you everything you need to know to get the most out of this exceptional machine.
The DC-6B was the epitome of the radial piston engine passenger aircraft. Powerful, noisy and smoky on engine start-up, the DC-6B was flown all over the world and opened up air travel on every continent. Originally designed in 1944 as the XC-112 military transport aircraft, the DC-6B was reworked into a civilian aircraft in order to compete with Lockheed’s Constellation. The aircraft was a true success story, with some of the 700 aircraft that were built still in service today, predominantly in cargo roles.
The DC-6B was also used heavily by the United States Air Force and Navy, known as the C-118B or VC-118 in military service, even serving as Air Force One.
Developed by the classic airliner experts at Aeroplane Heaven, DC-6B Legends of Flight was built exclusively for Flight Simulator X. Fully functional virtual cockpits, detailed passenger cabins and numerous exterior animations make this a true legend of flight!
- Highly detailed exterior model featuring boarding stairs, service vehicles and other advanced animations
- High-quality interactive 3D virtual cockpit (VC)
- Highly detailed authentic liveries
- High quality sound set
- Accurate flight dynamics, based on real-world data and tested by real-world pilots
- Domestic Day-plane (5 window) - Non-radar - No Spinners
- Domestic Day-plane (5 window) - Radar - Spinners
- Intercontinental (4 window) - Radar - No Spinners
- Intercontinental (4 window) - Radar - Spinners
- Operating passenger and cargo doors
- Full flyable virtual cockpit
- Specular map to give realistic light effect on aircraft
- A great set of bump maps to give a more realistic 3D feeling to the livery sets
- Multiple viewpoints
- Passenger boarding steps and ground crew vehicle customised to each airline
- Stewardess figure in doorway.
- Engine covers, chocks, fluttering pre-flight flags and control surface chocks
- Fully detailed interior with complete passenger section and stewardess
- High-fidelity sound set showcasing the distinctive Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp engines
- Comprehensive 60-page manual - English & German
Panel and Virtual Cockpit Features
- Highly functional and accurate VC, shadow textured as appropriate
- All switches, knobs and levers animated, most with bespoke animations
- Authentic fuel selection system for each engine and water/methanol injection system included
Four models and ten highly detailed and authentic international airline liveries in super-resolution:
Domestic Day-plane (5 window) - Non-radar - No Spinners
- United Air Lines - Circa 1957
- American Airlines - Circa 1956
Domestic Day-plane (5 window) - Radar - Spinners
- Sterling - Circa 1968
- Northwest - Circa 1956
- Intercontinental (4 window) - Radar - No Spinners
- Balair - Circa 1966
- JAL - Circa 1960
- Sabena - Circa 1968
- Intercontinental (4 window) - Radar – Spinners
- Red Bull - Circa 2011
- Pan Am - Circa 1961
- British Eagle - Circa 2011
A layered, tiled paint kit is supplied so you can create your own liveries (suitable additional paint program such as Photoshop required).
- Touchdown tyre smoke effects
- Engine start smoke/flame effects
- Highly detailed texture mapping without compromising frame rates.
- FSX DX10 preview compatible
- Bump mapping
- Specular maps
- Night maps
Flight Dynamics (FDE)
- Custom designed flight dynamics; tested by real-world pilots
- Full checklists and reference files are provided
Exterior cabin and baggage doors are all animated and, in addition, the flight attendant can move to the head of the passenger stairway, which appears when the appropriate VC switch is toggled. As with previous offerings, the VW Van also appears in the carriers own livery, which is a bonus and very eye catching.
The 6 passenger/cargo variants (Cargo Expansion Pack) have animated cargo doors which reveal a colourful set of packing cases inside the holds. A passenger stairway and bright yellow truck appear when the control switch is toggled from the VC. Finally, for complete accuracy, Just Flight have removed the passenger windows in both the TAL and Everts models. - Mutley's Hangar
Rated 4.0/5.0 based on 1 customer reviews
4/5 Verified Purchase
I really enjoy flying this big ol bird. I'm also a sucker for an old school radial though. I was honestly reluctant to purchase another justflight product, having recently purchased the C-46 Commando, and after only flying it 3 times, have no control over the aircraft once it started rolling. But having also purchased their schweizer 300C helicopter and being very pleased with it, I decided $19 was worth the risk. Wish the sound pack was a bit more realistic, but aside from that, it is a very fun piece of history to fly!