L-1011 TriStar Jetliner for FSX
As a full remake of the famous TriStar aircraft, this mod brings to life a proper rendition of one of the most popular aircraft of its era. At the time of its release it dwarfed the vast majority of aircraft in the sky, opening up a mild revolution in the world of aviation that changed the face of aircraft for some time. Read more...
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X inc. Steam Edition
- File size
- 814 MB
- Just Flight
Although the aircraft was eventually de-commissioned due to the incredible cost of building the RB-211 engines for Rolls-Royce, it served a major purpose. The actual aircraft was so exceptionally expensive at the time that it nearly put Lockheed out of the game. They needed to take on a loan from the US Government just to survive!
Despite such an epic cost to the country, the TriStar was well loved during it's time of release. With this version of the aircraft, you get major changes and improvements that manage to capture everything good about the aircraft. In this package, you get four highly accurate remakes of the TriStar, including;
- L-1011-500 Civilian Airliner
- RAF TriStar C2 Passenger
- K1 Passenger & Air-to-Air Tanker
- KC1 Cargo & Air-to-Air Tanker
This wonderful and highly detailed remake of all four versions come equipped with some wonderful virtual cockpit designs. These also include a newly included engineer's panel, which gives you re-fueling commands for the K1 and KC1. Alongside this you'll have a fully working Inertial Navigation System which is only going to help you fly even better.
With major improvements all across the board, this makes it easier than ever to hope into the cockpit and just take off!
This mod takes into account various details about the model itself, and does everything that it can to follow real-life procedure to guarantee accuracy. This includes major improvements such as;
- Four fresh variants are included for the utmost level of choice and ease of use.
- A fully functioning INS unit is included for high-end navigation and easy management of your flights.
- Detailed virtual cockpit with an engineer panel is also included.
- New sound packages have been made which deliver a Turbine Sound Studios setting. These carry the real noise of the genuine RB211 and makes it sound outstanding.
- Comprehensive flight manual for anyone who needs help when flying.
- Accurate flight dynamics that ensures the aircraft flies exactly as you would have intended.
- New interior and exterior viewpoints that have been modified, including fresh new wing views for better visibility when flying.
Across all four editions of this aircraft, you get an exceptionally well handled remake of the exterior model. This manages to capture many elements of the design that you would have been hoping for, including major changes such as;
- A highly accurate design that uses genuine drawings and plans of the aircraft to make sure it's accurate.
- 2048 x 2048 textures are used to help create the perfect synergy between performance and realism.
- Animated flying surfaced are now included, making sure that the aircraft looks alive. The same can be said of the landing gears, the doors and the airbrakes. Accurately modeled Fowler flaps and spoilers also included.
- New highly detailed, excellently animated landing gears with complex struts, hydraulic lines and brake systems. Accurate retraction routines are included for an easier, more manageable flight.
- Air stairs for smile access to the doors. All doors are made to work including cargo doors for military versions and passenger doors.
- Animated windscreen wipers for added effect and realism.
- New lighting and special effects that try to include strobes, beacons and navigational lights. These are all modelled to follow genuine examples.
- Specular maps to give realistic lighting effects on the aircraft textures. Bump mapping is also used to enhance the 3D effects on the aircraft itself.
- Fresh and accurate aircraft modeling, with twin center line hose-and-drogue re-fueling systems built to size.
- Fresh and impressive military variants with accurate models and features.
Another major improvement has come in the cockpit, including features such as;
- A working virtual cockpit with all knobs, levers and other functions fully working and animated for simple and easy usage.
- A fully featured 2D panel that has great pop-up features for engineering, throttle quadrants, INS/GPS, lighting, overheads and radio management on the go.
- Analogue and tap instruments included for nostalgia and effect.
- New icons for both 2D and virtual cockpit management without any problems.
- A fully functional Inertial Navigational System has been added which goes even further to adding to the realism of the flight.
- New baked textures that go an extraordinarily long way to making sure the aircraft looks real. If a lack of authenticity is your worry then these textures help to deal with that.
- Authentic gauges are used in the aircraft cockpit, too. These functional systems include various additions like navigational holds that can be used with INS/GPS systems. These all tie in with the autopilot and auto throttle systems to give you the easiest flight possible.
- Works with both standard and widescreen 2D panel choices, simply pick from within the simulator.
- Radio suites featuring DME/NAV/ADF/COMMS and Transponders for simple management when flying.
- New icons are made to ensure that you can use air stairs, cargo loaders and much more with just the simple press of one button.
- Functional annunciators are being used for engine and flight systems that will make a major difference in bringing together something fresh and something exciting.
- Dramatic night lighting effects for the instrument and the panel has been included, offering you a fresh and easy to manage cockpit. This will help you fly the aircraft with more comfort than before.
- An easy to use in-flight re-fueling hose and drogue control system that is used on the engineers panels.
A major element of the mod was that it included four unique aircraft. Each of these aircraft served a different purpose and thus they tended to have new attributes, making them worthy flight additions. These models are the following;
L-1011-500 - This first took to the skies in 1978 and became popular very quickly. It was an aircraft which introduced reduced fuselage sizes, by as much as 4m, and also increased fuel capacity. The aircraft could then fly for another 1,000 miles. It used a powerful RB211 engine to fly with safety and accuracy. It first served with British Airways and was a backbone for BA, with its exceptional range and aerodynamic strengths making it a favorite with BA for many years.
K1 - The K1 model was a hugely popular addition of the aircraft that makes an exceptionally useful add-on. This was two of the six RAF aircraft purchased, converted into the more versatile K1. The K1 is capable of carrying as many as 187 passengers at any given time and also made use of air-to-air re-fueling capacities to make it a worthy service. It also used directional infrared countermeasures systems to help ensure that it stayed safe in the skies. This made the K1 a popular choice with the RAF.
KC1 - The KC1 was also very popular, and made up the other four of the six that were not used for the K1 model. The KC1 added some new changes to the table, and was a major part of the RAF usage of this line of aircraft. This was able to carry 160 passengers as well as 30 tons of freight. It could also serve as an air-to-air re-fueling and cargo management system. This versatility made it a favorite, with the fuselage freight door included to allow the easy fitting, management and storage of major cargo pallets.
C2 - The C2, or C2A as it was commonly known, was also very popular with the RAF. This edition was purchased three times from TriStar via Pan Am. This then seen a major change in the way that the aircraft was used - before long it was put of military service such as C2s. it was also largely unchanged from the civilian style of the aircraft, although it could carry as many as 266 passengers and serve as an aeromedical ship. This made it a popular choice with the RAF as a support vehicle.
One of the major elements of this modification, though, was the introduction and inclusion of proper, official liveries. These liveries look wonderful and do a great job of carrying off the realism of the aircrafts look, feel and design. If you are unsure of what liveries you get, check out the list below.
- British Airways Landor (G-BLUS)
- British Airtours (G-BFCB)
- BWIA (9Y-TGJ)
- Air Canada (C-GAGF)
- Pan Am (N503PA)
- TAP Air Portugal (CS-TEA)
- LAM Mozambique
- Hewa Bora Airways
- TAAG Angola Airlines
- LTU (D-AERL)
- ATA (N161AT)
- United Airlines (N511PA)
- Air Lanka (4R-ULB)
- Saudi Arabian Royal Flight
- Air Mauritius
- Euro Atlantic (CS-TEB)
- Star Airlines
- Royal Jordanian Airlines
Alongside the civilian models, you also get a fine range of high-end military add-ons, these include freshly designed skins and improvements, such as;
- K1, Desert Storm (ZD951)
- C2A, Grey Scheme (ZE704)
- K1, White Scheme (ZD951)
- KC1, Grey Scheme (ZD953)
- C2, Development Aircraft (ZD948)
About Just Flight
Based in the United Kingdom, Just Flight, owned by Mastertronic Group has been in the simulation business since the early days of FS2000. Developing in-house creations and publishing flight sim add-ons from third-party developers for various platforms including MSFS, X-Plane, and Prepar3D.
Their latest focus has been on the next-gen platforms including P3Dv5 and Microsoft's latest flight simulator, MSFS (2020) release.
Trusted by thousands of flight simmers worldwide, Just Flight is a household name in flight simulation.
Submit a review of this product
Do you own a copy of this add-on? Have you used it? We'd love to hear your feedback on it below. You don't even need to have purchased it from SimShack.