A-6E Intruder for FSX/FS20044 reviews
The Grumman A6E Intruder is a very popular part of aviation history, first taking to the skies in 1960. Since it first flew, it was first used by the US Marine Corps and US Navy. So good was the A6E Intruder that it was not retired until 1993 and 1997 respectively. In that time, this all-weather attack aircraft built up a strong reputation for itself. Seen as part of the next generation of post-war fighters, this was a game-changer for military aviation. Read more...
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X & Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
- File size
- 109 MB
It was developed in the 1950s as the US was in need of an all-weather jet-powered aircraft. Seen as the successor to the previously popular Douglas A-1 Skyraider, the Intruder was an instant hit. It was seen as a simple aircraft to control, with a crew of two easily able to handle every aspect of operation.
Now, pilots can try it out for themselves if they choose to invest in this FSX/FS2004 add-on.
In this package, you get a fully operational take on the A6E Intruder as well as a fully working range of liveries. Though the Intruder has long been retired, flying it in FSX is a great introduction to modern military aviation.
Having served as part of the Vietnam and Gulf Wars, the A6E Intruder was a vital part of military aviation history in the USA. While it's been replaced by the F-14 Tomcat and others since it's still remembered fondly.
- A fully operational base model with model variants and livery swaps included.
- FSX model with FSX model features such as bump mapping and self-shadowing.
- Authentic Virtual Cockpit designed from the ground up with various animations.
- All-XML 2D panel set that provides high-resolution gauges and custom pop-ups.
- Realistic texturing that shows signs of wear and tear in the cockpit of the aircraft.
- 18 payload entries to look through and pick from in the CFG included.
- Detailed checklist and performance checklist to ensure added realism.
- Customized new effects such as turbine glow and start-up smoke during take-off.
- Sound set made from scratch, capturing sounds from the real A6E Intruder.
- Realistic pilot figures can be turned on/off in the cockpit for added realism.
- Various animations, including animated canopy and entry steps.
- VC rain effects included for those using FS9.
Alongside the base model, users all receive eleven model variants and eight texture sets to pick from. These include:
- VA-95 USS Enterprise (clean)
- VA-34 USS America (Mavericks, Snakeyes)
- VA-115 USS Midway (Mk.82s)
- VMA-533 US Marines (GBU12, Snakeyes)
- VA-95 USS Enterprise (Harpoons)
- VA-34 USS America (HARM)
- VA-52 USS Kitty Hawk ('post strike' (empty TERs))
- VA-75 USS Eisenhower (4 x GBU10 Paveway II's)
- VA-128 Whidbey Island (2 x AGM-62 Walleyes, Snakeyes)
- VA-196 Carl Vinson (2 x AGM-84E SLAM's)
- VA52 USS Kitty Hawk ('long range' (5 tanks))
Founded in 1999 by Phil Perrott and originally named Alphasim who developed freeware aircraft for FS2004/FSX. Now rebranded as Virtavia who now publish payware add-ons for Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D based on the old heavily modified Alphasim stock.
Virtavia has a focus on military aircraft add-ons compatible with FSX, Prepar3D, and X-Plane. Focusing on historic and modern military aircraft, their add-ons have been well received by flight sim pilots and rated highly.
SimShack stock the entire range of Virtavia add-ons and continue to list any new versions or releases announced by Virtavia.
Rated 4.3/5.0 based on 4 customer reviews
The Intruder is easily one of the most enjoyable and accessible aircraft out there, making it easy for even the most challenged of pilots to have some fun when they hop into the cockpit of this machine. It's made for flying around at quickly and effectively and gives you that real aviation boost that makes life so much simpler for everyone; when you fly something like this then your life really does become ten times easer to control and to enjoy as you will get a true appreciation of the kind of depth and detail that has long since existed.
The A-6 is an aircraft that will give pilots like myself a glimpse behind the curtain in terms of what we are capable of today within military aviation, even if the aircraft is more than three decades old. It till holds up today and gives you all the ideas that you need to see why military aviation has become such a massive industry - even though it was retired in 1997 for me it was still an aircraft we should have had in the skies today, and being able to actually try one out myself in a simulator was a massive amount of fun and something I would love to do again in the future.
If you are interested in seeing what we are capable of as a species when it comes to our development of aviation techniques and skills, you'll absolutely love flying around in this machine - its great fun!
3/5 Verified Purchase
The dynamics of the plane flies really well. The 2D/3D panels could be better. Lots of the functions on the panel not operatable. But still a fun plane to fly.
5/5 Verified Purchase
I found this download very easy to install. The plane flies great. I have only flown for 2 hrs but I will certainly spend many more hrs.
4/5 Verified Purchase
This is a great flight model, the only draw back I could find is the launch bar for carrier ops does not seem to work.
Submit a review of this product
Do you own a copy of this add-on? Have you used it? We'd love to hear your feedback on it below. You don't even need to have purchased it from SimShack.