Vickers Viscount: Legends of Flight for FSX2 reviews
This highly detailed model of the now retired Vickers Viscount by Just Flight, spices up your Microsoft Flight Simulator X collection with a proud piece of history in the form of this ground breaking aircraft; a beautiful recreation of the most successful, first generation post-war transport aircraft. It is compatible with both Acceleration and SP2 and you won't even need a hardcore gaming computer to use it. Read more...
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X inc. Steam Edition
- File size
- 137.4 MB
- Just Flight
The combination of specular maps, bump maps and multiple viewpoints, grant realistic lighting and allow you to have a wonderful visual experience whether you're admiring the more attractive, stretched fuselage from the -800 series, or sitting comfortably in the highly functional and accurate Virtual Cockpit, staring out of the large panoramic windows. Within the cockpit, shadow textures are used where you would expect and every knob, switch and lever is animated, most of them with bespoke animations that add a great deal of character to this aircraft. This holds true for both the Pilot and the Co-pilot/Engineer stations.
Dedicated flight dynamics pave the way for an authentic feel to the aircraft both on the ground and in the air. While the many subtle animations including rotating wheels, operating passenger and cargo doors, pitch controlled propellers and even animated crew visible through the windscreen all come together fluidly to create a rich atmosphere for you to sink in to. On top of that, the impressive high-fidelity sound does a good job of emulating the distinctive Rolls-Royce Dart turboprop engines and offers a significant boost to your immersive endeavors.
You can choose to fly any of 12 frame-rate friendly, super-high resolution liveries, including authentic international airlines and military liveries ranging from the 1959 KLM 'Royal Flying Dutchman' to British Air Ferries in 1981. The passenger boarding steps and ground crew vehicles have all been independently customised for each airline so you get the complete experience, whatever you wish to fly. You can be pretty sure that there is something in this add-on to suit your taste and if not, a layered, tiled paint-kit is also included, for those of you who like to make your own custom repaints and liveries.
The Vickers Viscount was a major success in Britain's aviation industry, being the right aircraft at the right time. Viscounts were registered in over 70 countries; 445 aircraft were built and used in service around the world.
Viscount - Legends of Flight features the -800 series of the marque, with the longer and more elegant fuselage, and takes you back to the heady days of classic aviation with 12 liveries, many of which have long disappeared from the skies.
Designed and built exclusively for Flight Simulator X, Viscount - Legends of Flight features an authentic Virtual Cockpit which is shadow textured as appropriate. All switches, knobs and levers are animated, most with bespoke animations, and the Co-pilot/Engineer station has functional gauges, knobs, levers and switches.
- Dedicated FSX design
- Highly detailed exterior model
- Twelve highly-detailed super-resolution liveries
- Accurate animations
- High-fidelity sound set showcasing the distinctive Rolls-Royce Dart turboprop engines
- Comprehensive manual (a German manual is also available to download from the Support section)
- Highly detailed stretch fuselage -800 series
- Operating passenger and cargo doors
- Fully flyable virtual cockpit
- Specular map to give realistic light effect on aircraft
- A great set of bump maps to give a more realistic 3D feeling to the livery sets
- Multiple viewpoints
- Passenger boarding steps and ground crew vehicle customised for each airline
- Stewardess figure in doorway
- Fully detailed interior model complete with passenger section
Twelve authentic international airline and military liveries in super-high resolution:
- BEA (British European Airways) - Red Square livery, 1960s
- Aer Lingus - 1966
- Air Canada - 1974
- British Air Ferries - 1981
- British Midland - 1986
- Cambrian Airways - 1970s
- Continental Airlines - 1959
- KLM 'Royal Flying Dutchman' -1959
- Lufthansa - 1968
- RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) - 1965
- Trans Australia Airways - 1960
- Intra Airways 1979 (Ex-British Airways)
A layered, tiled paintkit is supplied so you can create your own liveries (suitable additional paint program such as Photoshop required).
- Dedicated FSX custom flight dynamics
- Checklists and Reference files are provided.
Panel and Virtual Cockpit features
- Highly functional and accurate VC, shadow textured as appropriate.
- All switches, knobs and levers animated, most with bespoke animations.
- Co-pilot/Engineer station with fully functional gauges, knobs, levers and switches
- Cargo and passenger doors
- Propellers with pitch control
- Rotating wheels
- Nose wheel steering.
- Animated crew visible through windscreen
- Detailed animations such as windscreen wipers and wheel shock absorbers
- Fully animated control surfaces: flaps, rudder, elevators and ailerons
- Touchdown tyre smoke effects
- Highly detailed texture mapping which doesn't compromise frame rates
- FSX DX10 preview compatible
- Bump mapping
- Specular maps
- Night maps
- Red anti-collision beacon
- Coloured wing tip and tail Navigation lights
- Cockpit light
- Passenger windows lighting
- Landing lights that illuminate the runway
- Flight Simulator X (Acceleration, SP2 and Direct X 10 preview compatible)
- 3.0GHz PC or any Dual Core
- 1.0GB RAM
- 256Mb 3D graphics card
- Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
- 800MB hard drive space
JF have produced quite a highly detailed stretch fuselage with nice smooth lines and reflections due to good specular and bump mapping. The passenger and cargo doors are fully animated and we will take a look at these a little later. Pressing the "A" key allows you access comprehensive views of the exterior of the plane. With the model it is quite easy to conduct a preflight inspection and the animations afford easy access to the passenger and cargo doors. - Avsim
Having never had the pleasure of flying a Viscount (on-board or actually at the controls), I can't say how accurate or poor they are. But it does seem that the controls are accurate. The nose wheel steering is heavy on the ground, but the aircraft is responsive in the air. It's not possible to barrel roll the aircraft, but roll is reasonable quick for the aircraft size. Trimming is easily done with the tabs. - Mutley's Hangar
About Just Flight
Based in the United Kingdom, Just Flight, owned by Mastertronic Group has been in the simulation business since the early days of FS2000. Developing in-house creations and publishing flight sim add-ons from third-party developers for various platforms including MSFS, X-Plane, and Prepar3D.
Their latest focus has been on the next-gen platforms including P3Dv5 and Microsoft's latest flight simulator, MSFS (2020) release.
Trusted by thousands of flight simmers worldwide, Just Flight is a household name in flight simulation.
Rated 5.0/5.0 based on 2 customer reviews
5/5 Verified Purchase
Thank Just Flight! The sounds the look and feel of the Viscount far out-weighed my expectations of this product I had to have this in my FSX-Acceleration!
Once airborn I pressed the "A" key on my keyboard flying from Scotland to England on a clear moonlit night! I spent an hour just looking at every angle of this aircraft; reflective surfaces, "AMAZING", sounds, "Fantastic", gear-up/gear down, "SMOOTH" and the liveries, "mesmerizing" and Finally Take-off/Touch-down "WOooooW".
Wait a minute did I just fly this Aircraft! " Viscount ! " Me And You are Definitely flying back to Scotland " YEeeeeS " I LUV - IT !...
I am old enough to have flown as a passenger in a Viscount on a couple of occasions. Having ben used to the older piston-engined heavy metal, this aircraft was a delight by comparison. Everyone liked the large passenger windows and I was delighted to be able to fly this aircraft in FSX and actually set up various passenger views which really carried me back to the sixties. Just Flight certainly seem to have produced a near perfect model and I am grateful to them for having made it possible to enjoy some nostalgic flying.
Submit a review of this product
Do you own a copy of this add-on? Have you used it? We'd love to hear your feedback on it below. You don't even need to have purchased it from SimShack.