Svalbard Scenery for X-Plane
Take your X-Plane simulation experience to the edge of the world with the unprecedented Svalbard Scenery add-on. This package delivers an astoundingly detailed representation of the Svalbard islands, a remote Norwegian archipelago, lying in the embrace of the Arctic Ocean. Read more...
- X-Plane 12 & X-Plane 11
- File size
- 2.4 GB Download / 6.6 GB Once Installed
This area is notably situated between 74° to 81° northern latitude, breaching the Polar Circle and has been traditionally absent from the base X-Plane landscape.
The Svalbard Scenery add-on not just fills this geographical void but enhances the complexity of your simulation, offering a detailed depiction of all airports and heliports in the region. This includes Svalbard Lufthavn, Longyear (ICAO code ENSB), Svea (ENSA), Ny Alesund (ENAS), Barentsburg (ENBA) and Pyramiden (ENPY).
In-depth Feature Overview
- The Svalbard islands group, occupying a considerable 61000 km2 area, is recreated with an extraordinary level of accuracy. This makes for an incredibly immersive experience that few scenery add-ons can compete with.
- The add-on features a meticulously crafted, high-resolution mesh terrain that elegantly captures the unique coastlines and intricate forms of the local glaciers, significantly elevating the visual realism.
- Localized terrain characteristics are enhanced wherever reasonable, such as in the vicinity of airports, utilizing intricate topographical data to accurately represent these areas in the X-Plane environment.
- Airport facilities and structures are portrayed in high detail, from control towers to hangers, incorporating custom-designed objects for an authentic representation of these often-overlooked aspects of flight simulation.
- A standout feature is the photorealistic generic ground textures, derived from high-definition images of the actual terrain, resulting in an impressively true-to-life depiction of the ground from various altitudes.
- Intricate night-time effects have been employed to encapsulate the mystique of Arctic evenings, featuring realistically depicted polar night conditions, and dynamic lighting that illuminates runways and airport surroundings.
Dive deep into Arctic exploration with the Svalbard Scenery for X-Plane. Beyond just an enhancement to your visual experience, this comprehensive package serves as an expansion to the X-Plane simulator, offering a plethora of untouched locations and technical features to discover.
Aviation in Svalbard: A Fascinating Legacy
Aviation plays a crucial role in the Arctic realm of Svalbard, an archipelago characterized by its remote location and challenging weather conditions. This far northern latitude of the world may seem a daunting prospect for flight enthusiasts, yet it's exactly this unique environment that adds a thrilling layer of complexity to aviation experiences.
Svalbard's aviation history traces back to the early 20th century, when airships and seaplanes were the primary means of reaching this icy outpost. Airships like the Norge and Italia embarked on ambitious explorations, the latter tragically ending in a crash that led to an international rescue operation and marked a pivotal moment in the annals of polar aviation history.
With the advent of Longyear Airport in 1975, now known as Svalbard Lufthavn, Longyear (ENSB), Svalbard became more accessible. This airport, the northernmost one with a public schedule, revolutionized access to Svalbard and became a critical link between the mainland and the archipelago.
Over time, aviation facilities expanded, and today, the archipelago hosts several airports and heliports, including Svea (ENSA), Ny Alesund (ENAS), Barentsburg (ENBA), and Pyramiden (ENPY).
Svalbard’s aviation has its unique set of challenges, primarily due to its high latitude. Pilots must navigate long periods of darkness during the polar night, and conversely, continuous daylight during the midnight sun period. Added to this are the often severe and rapidly changing weather conditions that test the mettle of even the most experienced aviators.
To fly over Svalbard is to journey through aviation history while embracing the challenges of Arctic flying. Whether it's navigating the vast, icy landscapes or managing the unique lighting conditions, flight simulation over Svalbard provides an exciting and unparalleled experience for aviation enthusiasts.
Note: Product installation runs via Aerosoft One software – an internet connection and an Aerosoft customer account (which can be created after purchase) are required.
Aerosoft has been in the flight sim business since 1991 - true veterans of flight simulation software and providing add-ons for flight simulator users and virtual pilots.
Based in Germany, they have a true appreciation of attention to detail in flight sim quality. They have published many hit titles in the flight sim world over the years and they are known globally in the flight sim community.
Aerosoft publishes many titles from smaller flight sim names bringing their add-ons and creations to fruition and putting them in front of the masses.
Aerosoft is always at the forefront of the latest flight simulator technology and their customer after-sale support is second to none.
Submit a review of this product
Do you own a copy of this add-on? Have you used it? We'd love to hear your feedback on it below. You don't even need to have purchased it from SimShack.