RAF Binbrook: End of an Era Scenery for FSX/P3D1 reviews
The RAF Air Base RAF Binbrook is among the most well-known air bases within the Lincolnshire area. Although it shut down in the 1980s, from its development in 1939 until closure in 1988 it played a major role in military and civilian aviation in the region for some time. indeed, today, the old domestic site, where married couples lived, has been kept and revived into a new village known as Brookenby. Read more...
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X inc. Steam Edition & Prepar3D
- File size
- 100 MB
- Team SDB
The air base was most commonly used by Bomber Command and provided a significant strategic starting point for many a bombing run. That being said, post-war it served as a home for other groups such as the Central Fighter Establishment. Perhaps its most famous use though was the base where the last two RAF squadrons flying the English Electric Lightning aircraft from 1965-1988.
Today, much of the old area is gone, replaced by industrial estate housing for businesses. It also offers a large memorial for the 460 Squadron with names of former heroes who lost their lives.
This add-on for FSX and P3D, then, relives the final decade of the air base before it was closed down and reconverted into a village. If you would like to add a nice piece of aviation history from British military performance, this is the place to start.
- The airbase still played host to major aircraft such as the Lightnings, which helps to add life to the air base.
- You’ll see various features come to life when visiting here, with a full complement of every building on-site included according to authentic imagery.
- Hangars and air base buildings sit exactly where they should, adding a much more precise level of detail to the air base. Based on realistic imagery to capture the perfect look and feel.
- Technical sites and accommodation are included, all representative of the period itself. Freshly developed buildings help to capture that proper British air base feeling from the 80s.
- Operational night lighting is included to help make sure that you can make an approach as likely as possible to be a success.
- New and improved static aircraft litter the air base, with English Electric Lightning F.6 and T.5 aircraft lined up around the air base, helping to add much-needed character and life.
- Navigational aids that help to develop an easier means of access should you wish to fly here using aids.
You can view the user notes/manual here.
About Team SDB
Team SDB, a joint effort from developers based in the UK and USA but primarily consisting of Mike Dews in the UK and Frank Safranek in the USA have been developing flight simulator scenery add-ons for over a decade. Originally beginning with work published by Alphasim (Phil Perrott) also known for Virtavia, they now release independantly.
Team SDB generally focus on UK/US airfields, airbases and military precenses and bring them to life as scenery add-ons in the simulators. They have released many titles that have been well received by the community compatible with a range of simulators such FS2004, FSX and Prepar3D. They also have other projects releases such as aircraft carrier add-ons compatible with the latest sims.
Team SDB also hope to remaster and release their scenery add-on portfolio for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020 release.
Rated 5.0/5.0 based on 1 customer reviews
5/5 Verified Purchase
RAF Binbrook is not included in the standard FSX installation nor in UK2000/Playsims VFR Airfields so this is a very welcome addition to my very limited simming experience. I have happy memories of serving at Binbrook in the early '70's. Good to see that MSF and the bomb dump are reproduced here and the 5 and 11 Sqn. Lightnings lined up on the pan look really impressive. AI traffic level is not so overpowering as to impact on what 'you' want to do. All in all, for me, a good value add-on. Just one little niggle - it would have been nice to see the Spitfire 22 gate guardian at the main gate!
Submit a review of this product
Do you own a copy of this add-on? Have you used it? We'd love to hear your feedback on it below. You don't even need to have purchased it from SimShack.