Airwolf for FSX1 reviews
Media format: Immediate Download Compatibility: Microsoft Flight Simulator X File size: 19.7 MB Read more...
AFS-design brings a excellent rendition of the famous supersonic helicopter AIRWOLF from the same 80 years cult series AIRWOLF, and 2 models of possible opponents (Concept Aircrafts) of AIRWOLF.
The original series AIRWOLF is an American television series that ran from 1984 to 1987. It was about the sophisticated spy high-tech military helicopter, code named AIRWOLF, and took their team, which various missions. It was a lot of espionage and the theme of the Cold War. The series was produced by Donald P. Bellisario. There were 79 episodes, each with 45 minutes in length, in 4 Stafeln. In the first three seasons Jan-Michael Vincent played as Stringfellow Hawke for the pilot of AIRWOLF, Ernest Borgnine as Mr. Dominic Santini, owner of Santini Air Services and Systems Officer of the AIRWOLF, Alex Cord as Michael Coldsmith Briggs III ( CIA Code Name: Archangel ) CIA agent and in the second and third season, Jean Bruce Scott as Caitlin O'Shannessy, co-pilot of AIRWOLF with. The last season was recast with new actors.
The new AFS-design Add-On contains the following models
- AIRWOLF - The Lady
- Redwolf - A opponent for AIRWOLF
- Shark Grey - AIRWOLF Archenemy
These are equipped with a variety of models and liveries
- System officer
- Cabin deck
- Tarn paint
- Santini Air Service paint
- Repaint Texture
All models have a fully functional cockpit
- Panel convey the nostalgia of the 80s AIRWOLF
- Various switches for engine control and function
- 6 MFDs with about 30 different functions
- 3 different AI - Traffic radar sites
- Instrument Flight Display with 2 VOR, ADF 1 and 2 show DMS
- Full GPS page, map page, departure and arrival mode page, navigations Page,
- OMI Lights, hydraulic monitoring pages, STORE & FUEL pages
- Helicopter- and jet- mode status page,
- Display system officer (seat of Mr. Santini) fully animated,
- Switch to operate in and out of the 14 different armories,
- 2D-Panel in the resolution 1280x720 px / 3D-Panel with high-resolution 1024x1024 px textures
- Animation of the opening of 14 different armories
- Advanced Dynamic Flight:
- -> 0 to 50% thrust helicopter mode (you can fly in front, side and back)
- -> 50 to 100% thrust helicopter (jet mode is controlled like a jet plane)
- Simulation of 4 x 30 000 hp burly AIRWOLF Engines.
- Animation of the complex rotor mechanism with rotordisengagement
- High-resolution textures with reflective surfaces and night effects
- Detailed exterior and interior model, including window reflections
- Animated virtual cockpit of the Commander (Hawkes workplace)
- Animated Virtual Cockpit System Officers (Santini work)
- Animated virtual cockpit of the cabin model
- Cabin Model: 2 seats, a couch to sanitary purposes as well as:
- Medical equipment for emergency resuscitation measures and
- Full door animations, including leap opportunity for parachute jump
- Extensive lighting and outdoor lighting: Beacon, Strobes, Nav, Landing and Taxi Lights
- Engine animation with authentic Afterburner effects
- Detailed gears with retractable rolling wheels and animation wheel travel,
- Detailed instructions
- Is complying with the typical AIRWOLF sound
- Typical hum of the AIRWOLFinstruments
- And much more ...
- The secret AIRWOLF landing place in the cave with the massive rock formations
- Authentic replica of the AIRWOLF base
- AIRWOLF cave in North America in the "Valley of the Gods" - Bluff, Utah - airport ID: AW01
- AIRWOLF cave in Europe near Dresden (Germany) in the Elbsandsteingebirge - airport ID: AW02
About AFS-DesignView all products/add-ons by AFS-Design.
Rated 4.0/5.0 based on 1 customer reviews
Only dinged one star because of an engineering issue, but there is some license needed in order to get The Lady working in the FSX engine. But, if you'll read through my issues, I'll tell you why I'll still recommend it.
As a kid I was a die-hard Airwolf fan, and being able to fly her in FSX was awesome. The only dinged star was because...Airwolf never had a back compartment. In episodes where multiple people were in the cabin, it was standing room only. I think that's a wasted resource, and it makes no sense...that space would be occupied by fuel, APU systems, avionics, the missile magazine, etc.. I think the creator did too much here.
Some license was appreciated...the gatling guns in place of the various machine guns deployed from the compartments. That at least looked like a feasible upgrade.
My only other issue I can forgive because of the limitations of the FSX engine when it comes to these concept aircraft. I miss the turbo button. But, since FSX can't simulate a helicopter that becomes an autogyro at mach, I can appreciate that the creator had to come up with workarounds.
That said...here's the recommendation: I flew helicopters in VR using FlyInside, and that requires a virtual cockpit. Looking forward at the displays, and handling the stick, Airwolf handles very well. The mod creator pushed the limits of FSX to even get this far. The virtual cockpit is as authentic as FSX can allow, and switching POV's to the tech station showed an attention to detail that fans can appreciate. Don't expect all of the manuverability that Stringfellow Hawke could deliver, but that's the fault of Microsoft, not the mod creator. Despite all of the flaws, I still like jumping in the cockpit and taking the Lady out for a flight.
I hope FS2020 will allow more options, including a more authentic handling...because if this aircraft shows anything, it's that AFS-Design can deliver a phenomenal concept craft. Until that craft comes out, I recommend this for any die-hard fan of the show. It takes some learning to get the workarounds, but Airwolf was never a conventional helicopter...very few people could fly her, and mastery of the controls is rewarding.
Submit a review of this product
Do you own a copy of this add-on? Have you used it? We'd love to hear your feedback on it below. You don't even need to have purchased it from SimShack.