Al Bumbah North AB Scenery for FSX/P3D
The Libyan Arab Republic Air Force (LARAF) or Al Quwwat Alijawwya Al Libiyya is the largest Air Force in North Africa. With Soviet assistance, the air force has been organized into medium bomber, fighter-bomber (ground attack), fighter-interceptor, reconnaissance, transport, training, and helicopter squadrons. The fighter-interceptor, medium bomber, and reconnaissance squadrons are located at bases along Libya's coast and along its border with Egypt. Read more...
- Media Format
- Immediate Download
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X inc. Steam Edition & Prepar3D
- File size
- 7.6 MB
- Team SDB
Situated on the north east coast of Libya between Umm Ar Rizam and Al Tamimi, and 180 miles east of Benghazi, Al Bumbah North Air Base's runway at 11,155 feet is one of the longest in Libya. The base is home to two MiG-23 Flogger-E units: the 1st Fighter-Bomber Squadron of the Libyan Air Command and the 2nd Squadron of the Libyan Air Defense Command.
The MiG-23's shot down by two US Navy F-14 Tomcats in the second Gulf of Sidra incident in January 1989 flew from Al Bumbah Air Base.
The facilities are sparse and the accommodations appear to be dispersed. Surface to air missile (SAM) sites are located near the base for self defense. Air charter companies use the base probably to service the oil industry.
The Team SDB scenery consists of:
- Full airfield layout with runway and apron lighting.
- At each end of the runway are loops with 32 hardened aircraft shelters or HAS.
- As an aid to navigation an NDB has been added (ID: BUM, Frequency 257.7)
- AI and static MiG-23 Flogger-E's by kind permission of Phil Perrott of Virtavia.
- AI and static C-130's used with the permission of Henry Tomkiewicz (HTAI).
- Static Mi-8 Helicopters by Dimitriy Shnurov.
- MiG-23 Flogger-E fighters and a C-130 transport fly touch-n-go around the air base as well as departing to other destinations.
About Team SDB
Team SDB, a joint effort from developers based in the UK and USA but primarily consisting of Mike Dews in the UK and Frank Safranek in the USA have been developing flight simulator scenery add-ons for over a decade. Originally beginning with work published by Alphasim (Phil Perrott) also known for Virtavia, they now release independantly.
Team SDB generally focus on UK/US airfields, airbases and military precenses and bring them to life as scenery add-ons in the simulators. They have released many titles that have been well received by the community compatible with a range of simulators such FS2004, FSX and Prepar3D. They also have other projects releases such as aircraft carrier add-ons compatible with the latest sims.
Team SDB also hope to remaster and release their scenery add-on portfolio for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020 release.
Submit a review of this product
Do you own a copy of this add-on? Have you used it? We'd love to hear your feedback on it below. You don't even need to have purchased it from SimShack.